Monday, September 3, 2012

Still here - In case you were wondering

Yes, I am still here. Not on vacation, not on break;
As many of you may have already guessed, it is the kiddos .... (yeah, if anything happens or doesn't happen, blame it on the kids, that's my mantra these days)

So, wow, let's see, my last post was in March 2012. So much has happened in the last 6 months
Every time I looked at this blog or even when I was not looking at it, I had hundreds of stories and thoughts rumbling in my mind that I wanted to put on my blog.
But, then, at the end of the day, sleep always took over control and my dear laptop has been buried under layers of dust in some corner of the house.
Yeah, on several days, I do not even get a chance or the urge to even start up my laptop, thanks to my smart phone too. My phone already tells me the count of spam emails I am getting, the useless zodiac sign updates people are subscribed to on facebook and those never-ending rants AKA tweets.

But even if I had no updates on facebook or on my blog, life was still been happening and lots of things going on. For one, my little boy does not claim to be so little now. He turned 6, which according to him puts him in the league of "Big Boys". Since his B'day falls during the summer break, we decided to not do a conventional B'day party by sending an electronic invite to his school friends and anticipating how many of them will show up. But I still wanted to make the day extra special for him.

His first demand came in very un-conventional circumstances. Everyday, as we get home, I'll get my bag and other stuff from the car and he goes to check the mailbox for the incoming mails. And, now thanks to his reading skills, he can read whose name and address is on every piece of the mail. And he complains every time that how come he never gets any mail. (And I have tried to explain him every time that beta, those are BILLS and NOTICEs. You don't even realise what you are asking for !!) But anyways, this particular day, he complained as usual and then he added "and no one even bothers to send me anything even though my B'day is coming"  
So, that set the platform for the first surpise: 2 days before his B'day, he started getting mails addressed to him only. First batch was a set of loving cards from grandparents from both the sides Second batch was yet another set of B'day cards fileld with fun and balloons from cousin brothers And yet another was another set of cards from cousin sister and bua.   The  gleam in his eyes and the feeling of exhiliration he displayed for the next several days just proved that my trip to the card store and the time I spent burning the night lamp addressing, coloring and sticker-decorating the cards was all worth it !!   



Then on his night before his B'day, husband and me were awake till midnight to decorate his rooms with his memorable pictures from the previous years, put up some balloons, wrapped his gifts and filled upa big balloon with his favorite candies.This along with the icecream cake from Baskin Robbins and a golf game at Putt Putt golf was more than enough to fill his day with surprises.



 




 















The gleam in his eyes, the excitement in his voice and his tiring self at the end of the day just made me feel that it was all worth it and as in his own words "It was the bestest B'day ever"


9 comments:

Shilpa Garg said...

Welcome back! And good to see you here! Yes, managing 2 kids is too demanding so its understandable...
Oh yes, being six is in Big Boys league... a very happy birthday (belated) to the big boy!
See you around.
Cheers :)

Smita said...

wow!! What a lovely way to makes his day special :)

Dil se said...

@Shilpa: Thanks so much. Yes, life's been upside down with 2 kids.
@Smita: Thanks. Yes, the intent was to make the day special for him and he indeeed felt special.

Sara said...

Happy Birthdya Aayush, yes beyond 5 is the big boys league :)

Swaram said...

What a lovely birthday that one :)
Belated wishes Aayush :)

Swaram said...

And congrats on the new arrival!:) What a lovely news to come back to on ur blog. What have u named her?

Anonymous said...

Magnificent! (As usual. :-P )

Dil se said...

@Sara: thanks so much. Yes I have also started realising this now :-)

Dil se said...

@Swaram: Thanks Swaram. Good to see you after such a long time. Yeah, my little girl is already 1 year old now. I have named her Kashvi.