Monday, September 24, 2012

For you, with love


How do you celebrate the B'day the of your sweetest heart when it falls on a weekday and the whole week you and your partner are playing "catch me if you can" with the (older) kids activities, busy work, trainings,wrongly timed car issues and all that?

How do you wish B'day to that cutie pie who doesn't even understand that today was the day when she decided it was THE day for her to come out to this world and take matters into her own hands?

How do you explain this to the big brother who demands to have a B'day party for his li'l sister but the unsocial parents, with no family members in this "firangi land" have no one to invite to that party?

Well, you just kiss, hug the little darling and relive the moments, and celebrate the day with the people around you who matter, with the poeple who care.

And that's really what I did.

I woke up in the middle of night, 2:10 PM to be exact.
and waited for my clock to show 2:30 PM
Because that's the moment when she was born

That's the moment she said(in her own language that only I understood then)  "mom, I have had it enough inside here. I think I'll like to come out now and breathe some fresh air !!"

That's the moment my nurse yelled "She is so gorgeous and look at her hair!!"
and I just passed out out of exhaustion. I was waiting all along to find out if the Big Boss Up there got all the specifics of my request correctly or not, most importantly the gender part :-) (In all seriousness, I had even threatened my husband saying that if I have another boy, I am going to take "sanyas" and go to Himalayas)

That was the moment, when my husband's hand trembeled a bit while holding her and I saw that "smile" and the expressions on his face which I won't even try to put in words. By the way, by then, I had also excused him for showing his "Everybody loves Raymond" side by actually trying to find parking spots at the hospital on his laptop while I was screaming with labor pains.

And,exactly, after 365 days, here she was, my little bundle of joy.
I cannot believe she is already 1
I can still remember that estactic feeling I had when I held her for the first time
when I hugged her for the first time,when she curled her fingers around mine for the first time
when she smiled for the first time
I mean, it feels as if it was yesterday I brought her home
Spent hours just watching her expressions change while she slept.

And in between that,it seems the time all of a sudden just flipped over
I mean it was just recently she was trying to roll over from one side to another
and then she started crawling
and then she was holding onto walls and tables trying to stand on her little feet
and now she is already running through the house
after she gets hold of her brother's truck or homework
so,her B'day....It was a regular work-school-daycare kind of schedule
I dressed her in most favorite most pink dress of hers,  which brings out the mischeif of her eyes even more
the day began with blessings and wishes filled phone calls from grandparents from India

Today was also her second day in a new class at her daycare
and all her teachers at her daycare are so much loving and caring for her

More than me, her teacher from the infant class Ms Janel was concerned how she'd adjust with the new kids and new teacher and new environment. Everyone at daycare said Kashvi was her third leg since she'd follow her clinging to her leg everywhere

And her other teacher Ms Stacey was already missing her 'bestie'
As I entered the daycare with donuts and danish treats for all the teachers, they all gathered to take turns to hold her and hug her and put chocolate and strawberry icing on her face and nose
And she was definitely loving all the attention and loving from all the people she has gotten so used to.

And I was just standing in one corner and looking at all this,too overwhlemed with emotions and tears.
I had always missed my dear and near ones in this country,specially on occassions like these when I see my kids losing the love and pampering they could have gotten,had they been close to the family.
But that one moment made me realise that these teachers are the family my kids know for now.
And I should be happy that they are so loved and cared for by them.

That evening, her teachers Ms Janel and Ms Stacie also gifted a special album for her where they had collected so many pictures of her whil she was in their class, her little pieces of art(yes, she is great painter !! she even painted by her foot), all her major milestones, all tucked in a very cute binder for me.

I was planning for a special cake treat for her in the evening,but with the new schedule at school and everything, both the kids were so tired that they just went to bed by 7.

I guess I have seen parents make such a big deal about the first b'day of kids and when I look back, this day did not even sound like a first B'day. But the day and its memory turned out to be very special to me.
As for Kashvi, here's something I read which echo my feelings and my wishes for you on your special day:

Do you know how much you mean to me?
As you grow into what you will be.
You came from within, from just beneath my heart
it's there you'll always be though your own life will now start.
You're growing so fast it sends me awhirl,
With misty eyes I ask, Where's my little girl?
I know sometimes to you I seem harsh and so unfair,
But one day you will see, I taught you well because I care.
The next few years will so quickly fly,
With laughter and joy, mixed with a few tears to cry.
As you begin your growth to womanhood, this fact you must know,
You'll always be my source of pride, no matter where you go.
You must stand up tall and proud, within you feel no fear,
For all you dreams and goals, sit before you very near.
With god's love in your heart and the world by its tail,
You'll always be my winner, and victory will prevail.
For you this poem was written, with help from above,
To tell you in a rhythm of your Mother's heartfelt Love!

Source: As I Watch You Grow, Daughter Poem
http://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/as-i-watch-you-grow#ixzz27RWU76Xg

2 comments:

Shilpa Garg said...

A very happy birthday to the lil baby Kashvi and congratulations to the proud parents! They say, the child's first birthday is actually a celebration of being parents for the lil one, with all the sleepless nights and kisses and hugs, cries and happy moments the new child brings with him/her!
BTW, Kashvi is a beautiful name!

Reflections said...

Belated wishes for the lil one!!!

I like the way u threatened ur H abt taking sanyas;-D

Beautiful post, one every mother will identify with:-)).