Thursday, July 1, 2010

My Sins Against Gender-Stereotypes





I saw this tag floating around started by IHM here and decided to tag myself !!

As IHM describes it:
If you are a woman,

Have you ever wanted something that is considered ‘manly’ ? Like a basketball, a cell phone, a dog, a camera or a new laptop? A new car or motor bike? Ever wanted to be a pilot? A doctor or not a nurse? And the manliest want of them all – The remote!

As a kid did you enjoy playing with a bat and a ball?

There was a time when books were considered ‘manly’, women authors had to pretend to be men – would you say books are still rather manly – women should want to embroider and crochet?

If you are a man,
Have you ever wanted something that only women are supposed to want – like bags, shoes, clothes, creams, perfumes, babies, flowers? A peaceful home and a happy family? Have you ever been afraid of the dark or of insects?

As a kid did you ever want to play ‘teacher-teacher’, cooking or did you like playing with a doll? Have you ever enjoyed cooking? Bought something in pink? Loved chocolates?

So, here's my list of what I think I do/love to which doesn't fit my gender stereotypes:


a) I love cars, the bigger the better !! I just love my RAV4 and it makes me sad if I have to trade it with hubby's Corolla for even a day. I just love to crank up the music to maximum volume and speed it on a highway.


b) I cannot stand a kitty parties (or any all-women party) where all they discuss is fashion, husbands, mother in laws and jwellery.


c) Since school days, I have had more male friends than female friends. I just can talk to them more freely than with my firl friends.


d) I cannot talk on the phone for hours with friends. Every once in a while, it can be a short hi-hello but I just cannot do an hour long conversation.


e) I once hugged a male friend of mine, even though I knew it would raise a lot of eyebrows in a small place like Varanasi, in a batch of students having only 4 girls and 33 boys.


f) I can't stand all those saas bahu serials or Bachler types shows showing naked hot boys. I love all those crime serials like CSI, NCIS, 24 and latest the Mentalist.


g) I do not love chocolates, yes I just don't. I can eat once in a while, but I just don't drool/crave or go crazy about it.


h) Among me and my husband, I am the strict parent, in charge of discipline and husband is the one responsible for spoiling and taking sides.


i) I love doing all sorts of work around my house and yard. I recently repainted my kitchen cabinets, my living room, cleared up my back yard and now ready to redo the basement in my house !!


j) I am the one in my house who'll figure out how to import contact from a old cell phone to new one, how to set up the wireless router, find deals on electric gadgets and score the best one.


k) I am the one in charge of all financial accounts/records in the household. Have buried all the passwords/access codes in my head. (See, this way, I can threaten hubby to run away anytime :-)


Phew !! There, got the list.
and yet these things fail to take away my love for my collection of nail polishes and lipsticks
I still love my pearls and rubies.
I still love to pamper myself at a parlour every now and then.
I still love the smell of first rain, reading love stories
Sunsets still make me sad
still confide in my mom and sisters more than anyone else in the world.


If you are reading this and like it, go ahead and tag yourself and do it. it's fun to explore your own self at times !!

Edited: Added my trophy from IHM

8 comments:

Swaram said...

Lol @ k ;) Thanks for the idea :P

Dil se said...

@Swaram: Try it. It really works :-)

Shilpa Garg said...

Wow! A wonderfully done tag! Same pinch on so many things...saas bahu serials, phone talks, chocolates, strict parent, handyman around the home, financial/record keeper!! :)
Cheers :)

BTW...the results are out and.... ;)

Cheers :)

indianhomemaker said...

I love driving a biggish car with music too and I am the one at my place who sets up the wireless router (and such things)...
I also don't like saas bahu serials and chocolates!! - looks like we are sisters in sin :)

Indian Home Maker said...

We have created a group for sinners against gender stereotypes or SAGS, here, SInners Against Gender Stereotypes (SAGS)

It would be great if you joined too.

Samvedna said...

I also dont like saas bahu serials and am finance savvy, no long small talk for me......but never bothered about this gender thing:)

Dil se said...

@Shilpa: Thanks !! Great that we share sameness on so many things. Saw the results and thanks for the trophy. I just put up my post.

Dil se said...

@IHM:Yeah, true, we are sisters in the sins, sins we love :-)
And joining the group now !!