Monday, May 2, 2011

A trip to Gatlinburg

Easter weekend was a long weekend for the kid and husband. And the kid had been complaining for a long time "how come you never take a chutti (vacation)?"
So we decided to make it a family long weekend and drive to Gatlinburg. This place is special for all 3 of us because the first time we went there was on the first B'day of my son.
It is about a 5 hour drive from our place and we headed out Friday early morning.
Once we reached there, the first stop was at Ripley's acquarium.
And it is a must watch if you take a trip to Gatlinburg:







But while dad and son were busy exploring the creatures of the acquarium, I was out on my own, exploring the markets of the area. And it was all well worth it.

The Village Shops at Gatlinburg is a collection of 27 unique boutiques, clothiers, eateries and galleries.

A shop with a lot of traditional handicraft items:

Mirrorwork:

Painted posters:



and a lot of other knick-knacks:




The next stop was at the local candy store within the village:


This is where the popular home made fudge candy is cut into pieces and individually wrapped:


And here you can see the sugar candy being rolled continuously before it is cut into pieces and wrapped.


Another shop selling all sorts of handcrafted mugs and vases:



An interesting sign I captured in one of the gift shops (I have been thinking of putting something like this in my kitchen now :-)


And saw these beautiful tea sets in one of the gift shops:



And then the candle shop, can you imagine these are candles:


Even these too:

And even these too :-)
However given they are so cute, I wonder, if anyone will ever actually use them to light them:


There were so many other shops and galleries I wandered into in that 4 and half hour walk that I took. I was so fascinated and enjoying myself that I missed on some of the pictures.

However, this one I definitely did not miss. As I came out of the Village, there was this fountain which had a burning flame on the top of it:


Overall, a very scenic place. Had a great relaxing weekend. Rest of the weekend activities were more into trolley rides, water park fun and just enjoying the break.


2 comments:

dialoguewithyou said...

Wow! those awesome pictures say it clear how much fun you all must have had :)
Sounds like a wonderful place :)

Sara said...

I love Gatlinburg and the Smoky Mountains...feels so refreshing...I'm glad you had fun!!