Friday, February 18, 2011

Count your blessings

A few days back, I was reading a magazine and I came across an article in which one of the moms talked about how she worked with her kids to make them realize the beauty of life and how to appreciate it every day by making the most of it and finding a reason to be happy each and every day.

Inspired by that article, that night I had a conversation with Aayush where I told him that, for the next few days, every night before sleeping, we'll write one word/line or draw a picture about one thing that made him happy for the day.
It has been a week that we have been having this practice every night and believe me, it completely changes your attitude towards life and your overall being in general. Now it is one of the conversations he looks forward every day and one day, when I forgot about it, he reminded me and gave me his reason for being happy that day.
Here's how our journal looks so far:

I AM HAPPY TODAY BECAUSE:

Thursday: Mommy came to pick me up (Generally I drop him off and his dad picks him up, but since dad was travelling, so I picked him from his school that day)

Friday: Dad is coming back (from the work travel)

Sat: I got to go to Donovan's B'day (His best friend's B'day party)

Sun: I got a glitter tattoo of Superman (Local library had a valentine's day party for kids where they offered crafts, balloons and glitter tattoos for kids)

Mon: Mommy came to my school to have lunch with me (I went to his school during the lunch time when they had their valentine's day party at the school)

Tues: Mommy got home early (actually he got late with his dad that day and he saw my car already parked and thought I came early)

Wed: I got to ride my bike after so many days (The weather was warm after many many days of cold)

Thurs: Mommy brought cheetos for me for snacks when she picked me up.

And when I started looking at this journal, I realised that these are so small things yet they were big enough to be the reason for him to be happy. I guess, for grown ups too, it is all about perception.
All about what we can find happiness in
It's all around us and inside us
We just need to identify these small things and hold on to those

And then I came across these lines from here

Count your blessings instead of your crosses;
Count your gains instead of your losses.

Count your joys instead of your woes;
Count your friends instead of your foes.

Count your smiles instead of your tears;
Count your courage instead of your fears.

Count your full years instead of your lean;
Count your kind deeds instead of your mean.

Count your health instead of your wealth;
Love your neighbor as much as yourself.


7 comments:

Shilpa Garg said...

Wow!! That's so wonderful!! Simply floored at a simple yet so beautiful thing to do!! Thanks for sharing!! Will share it with my baby too!! :))

MindfulMeanderer said...

What a lovely idea! :)
I'm going to try it with Lil p too. we've both been feeling really lonely and depressed these days.

Sara said...

Thats a thoughtful.yet so simple thing to so with your child.And the words are so beautiful too..thanks for sharing!!

writerzblock said...

That's such a lovely thing to do, I will try it out with my child as well, thank u for sharing :-)

Dil se said...

@Thanks all. I am glad you liked the idea. This has turned into a beautiful conversation with my kid everyday and I am sure it will change some perspectives with your kids too.

Scribby said...

came here through Shilpa :)

I totally loved this idea and I appreciate the efforts you girls are putting in to make it a habit for your kids :)

Swaram said...

This is so cute, esp. the Tuesday thing :)