Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Life is all about choices

Life is all about the choices we make and the ones we do not make (or just choose not to make)
So, why after such a long break, am I talking about this stuff?
Because in the past few days, I have been faced with a lot of choices, related to life, career, parenting, relationships.. to name a few

And at every point, I was confused like a four year old kid standing in front of a candy store trying to decide which candy to choose from all the colorful ones.
Only that in my case, the choices were not as colorful as the candies and most of them were not as simple as just choosing a candy.

My sister once told me that whatever you choose in life, always be responsible for them, because then later you just cannot deny them saying someone else forced those on you. Because if you were forced, then that was also your own choice. And I always remember this little advice of hers, specially more recently.

So, in my career, I am at a point, where I am looking for options but I have my certain parameters attached with them. So recently, when I did really receive a pretty lucrative offer, lucrative enough to actually make me think and consider all options and make a decision really quick. However, I did decline that offer because it was offering me everything except peace of my mind.

On my personal front, I was really falling apart because of certain circumstances, something about which I wrote here too. However, lately, I have trained myself to take the things the way they come and just feel contented with the present. If it is destined for you, it will come to you sooner or later, that's what I have started to believe for now.

Parenting... aahh.. that's a difficult one !!
Difficult, I say for 2 reasons:
a) It's about parenting a 4 yr old
b) And 4 yr old toddlers do not come with any instruction manual. They only come with a lot of tantrums, frequent whining and stubbornness about anything and everything under the roof and then, another second they are full of giggles, laughter, lots of hugs and a very smart imitation of their teacher !!

So, the choices I make as a parent change every day. Should I allow him to have those fries today? Will it be okay for him to play with kid today, who pushed him so hard yesterday? He wants to skip his writing today and play a computer game today, will that be okay?

For a long time, I have, in my heart, regretted a lot of my decisions and choices. But, now, I am starting to let that guilt and regret go away and come to terms with everything, may be I am at that certain point in my life.
But you know what, at the end of the day, there are still some decisions and choices in my life which I am really feel good about. And that's what keeps me going.

7 comments:

Shilpa Garg said...

Oh yes...very well said. Read somewhere..."In every single thing you do, you are choosing a direction. Your life is a product of choices."

Wishing you the very best as you choose what is best for you and your family!

Hugs and cheers! :)

collin said...

Impressive post. I liked it.

Take the Caring For Toddlers test and find out how good are you at caring for toddlers.

Samvedna said...

so true...life always gives us many choices, even i somnetimnes regret about some past decisions, but then i took them in totally different circumstances, whereas today circumstances are different, so i think I must not compare..at any given time we choose everything to our best abilities, and then we must leave the rest to God.

Sara said...

You are a woman of substance...I am sure you are taking the right decisions!
Thats the thing with decisions, we dont know right or wrong...until we are faced with the repercussions or rewards.
But just believe in yourself, all the best!

Dil se said...

@Shilpa:Thanks. Loved the quote.
@Collin: Welcome and thanks for dropping by.

Dil se said...

@Samvedna: Very true. But as humans, when something goes wrong, we tend to forget the circumstances under which we took some decision and just looka t what is in front of us at that time !!

Dil se said...

@Sara: Thanks so much. Very true, "Believe in yourself" that's the key.